family protective services
Occasionally there are situations in which a spouse, particularly a spouse and children, are faced with an increasingly abusive person in the home or they are without a job and the ability to support themselves temporarily. Geni Manning Real Estate Group has accesss to resources for:
Battered or abused women (and men) and children
Temporarily homeless due to a disaster (such as a fire) or a job loss
We work through the assigned attorneys, the courts and law enforcement, if involved, to assist in ensuring the safety and security of our at risk clients.
Refer to the Divorce Recovery page for additional resources and help for specific situations such as dealing with drug and alcohol addictions, depression, anxiety, grief counseling and more. If your situation is immediate refer to https://www.hhs.texas.gov/services/safety/family-violence-program for a list of safe houses and counseling services in your city.
Commonly requested online legal forms are available at the Texas State Law Library that address:
File for Divorce
Respond to a Divorce
Appear in Court Remotely
Service by Posting
It is not our suggestion that you attempt to represent yourself in these proceedings unless you are very familiar with the court processes and the statutory time frames that must be complied with or a motion or petition could be automatically denied.
We are available to discuss your situation with you and have a listening ear. Just complete the Online Request for FREE Consultation for real estate related questions or for an attorney referral and we will be back in touch quickly. If this is an EMERGENCY situation call 9-1-1 and 469-556-1185, we are here to help.
Abuse is real and the following statistics bear this out. If this is happening to you understand that you are NOT ALONE and that there is help for you and your children.
Do Not Try To Go It Alone - There Is Help
You Are Not Alone!
• 1 in 3 Texans will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. "Crime in Texas,” Family Violence, Texas Department of Public Safety (TDPS), 2017.
• Girls and young women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience the highest rate of intimate partner violence, almost triple the national average. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice and Statistics, Intimate Partner Violence in the United States, 1993-2004. Dec. 2006 from Dating Abuse Statistics.
• 1 in 4 women and 1 in 13 men reported being stalked in their lifetime. Catalano, S. et al, Bureau of Justice Statistics selected findings: Female Victims of Violence, 2009.
• More than 1 in 3 women and more than 1 in 4 men in the United States have experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime." The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey: 2010 Summary Report Executive Summary.
• 33% of sexual assaults are committed by a current or former intimate partner.
• A recent meta-analysis has shown that "domestic violence incidents increased 8.1% after jurisdictions-imposed pandemic-related lockdown orders." Alex R. Piquero, Ph.D et al "Domestic Violence During Covid-19, Evidence from a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis," Impact Report: COVID-19 and Domestic Violence Trends, National Commission on Covid-19 and Criminal Justice.
• Protective orders are as much as 80% effective in reducing future violence. Holt VL, Kernic MA, Lumley T, Wolf ME, Rivara FP. Civil protection orders and risk of subsequent police-reported violence, JAMA. 2002;288:589-594.
The chart titled “Choices In The Legal System For Victims of Crime” is not exhaustive of all legal remedies. It is included for information only and is not intended to convey legal advice in any way.
YOUR SAFETY AND THAT OF YOUR CHILDREN
IS OUR CHIEF CONCERN!
Geni Manning Real Estate Group, our affiliates and partners, are committed to your safety and the safety of your family. If you are affected by emotional, mental, sexual or physical abuse please see a reputable attorney regarding your issue or contact us for a referral if you are uncertain.
If the abuse is physical or sexual you should remove yourself from that situation as quickly as possible – there is help available. If you are threatened or in fear for your safety or that of your children call 9-1-1 and follow their directions. We are here and you can call but DO NOT call me if its an emergency! All I can do is call 9-1-1.